Saturday, April 12, 2014

Frustration and Learning to just LET IT GO

So I have been trying all sorts of things to keep me from over doing it physically. I am not able to do so much as far as cleaning goes and it is really hard for me because I am very OCD (not self diagnosed BTW) and one of my OCD things is that I am a very clean and organized person.

With a wonderful husband who does all that he can, a 14 year old daughter that does more then she should have to, a 12 year old son that does almost as much and a 6 year old daughter that I am trying to teach how to help out but spend most of my time keep her from either being the target of teasing or the target of anger. (Please forgive the run on sentence)...

What I try to do to occupy my time: Crochet, Polymer clay, teaching myself to Tat, reading, making lists (a lot of lists), blogging, facebook, lots of pinterest scanning, create jewelry, and genealogy.

What doesn't help: Kids that are sick of doing more chores then normal kids and then being told everyone has to pull a little extra weight while mom is healing. Me, thinking that because I am fed up with arguing, another thing I am not supposed to do, I can be super woman for 10 minutes to just get the job done, and then realize if I even try and do it my doctor won't help me because I am breaking her rules. In other words I can't get upset that the kids aren't doing the dishes like they are supposed to and so I go in and take over and get mad and finish cleaning the entire house on my own, because that is how I cope with stress.

With me trying to obey the rules, one of which is to keep my stress levels low, I have more stress adding up. It seems like a vicious cycle.

So I pray, read some more scriptures, call my mom and vent, and then have a calm talk with the kids and put aside the things that can be let go.

What did I conquer with this? This last week was Spring Break. I had this huge list of things I wanted to get done. Sadie has been up at her mom's having fun which I am happy for her to have a break. That left Hunter and McKadie. So my list of about 25 things that needed to get done in our house, only about 5 actually did. I realize my kids need to be kids. I need to let go of some things for other things to heal.

The kids spent a lot of time outside playing. They had water fights, Hunter taught McKadie how to ride a 2 wheeled bike which was such a great thing in our home for her, and I have done a lot of crocheting, reading and genealogy!

If you come to my home and there is a little extra dust, extra dog hair, unscrubbed floors and bathrooms, laundry piled on the couch and me buried in a corner with my laptop, yarn, and genealogy folders, then please, as my kids are at this very point singing... LET IT GO! Because I am having to learn to do this as well.

And in case you are wondering what can't be let go: Dishes, garbage's, laundry being washed, dogs being taken care of and an occasional floor sweep and vacuum:) Everything else can be let go.

I thought this picture from Pinterest summed it up pretty well:

No comments: