Friday, March 25, 2011

Day 3: My Parents

My dad, Ivan Wininger II, my mom's dad holding me, and my mom Katie Grosland. This was the day I was blessed in Pleasant Grove. Picture quality is not great but you get the drift.
This is a picture of my parents that was taken this fall by my sister.
Wow, my parents, a topic which encompasses so much love, gratitude, humiliation and some times irritation.
Lets start first with my dad.
My dad is the oldest of 8 kids and was raised in Southern California in a town called Canyon Country, about an hour outside of LA. He has 5 brothers, one who passed away when I was 14, and he has 2 sisters. He is lucky enough to have 2 sets of parents. His parents divorced when he was 17 and both later remarried. I love the fact that his family doesn't use the "step" or the "half" titles in their blended family. Family is family and that is all that counts.
My mom is the oldest of 6 kids. She was born in Alabama but was also raised in Southern California in a town named Tajunga. The parents of the actor Paul Walker lived in her ward in Tajunga where she grew up. Mom has 4 brothers and a baby sister.
My mom thought my dad was a dork at first and I believe that the first couple of dates were sympathy dates. But obviously there was a connection and so began my family.
My parents were born in June of 1980, got pregnant right away with me right before dad went to basic training for the Air Force. I was born February 1981 and before I turned a year old we were stationed in Holland. While we were stationed in Holland 3 of my siblings were born, Katrina, Mindy, and Lance.
Dad was a Jet Engine Mechanic and worked on F-14's and F-15's. We are very proud to be American's and I couldn't be prouder of my daddy for serving his country.
We were in Holland for 4 years. We were transferred to Phoenix in 1985-1986 and before dad was released from the Air Force my little sister Natasha was born at Luke Air Force Base.
Once dad served 9 years in the United States Air Force, we moved to Southern California. We lived there for 3 years but before we moved to Utah, my baby brother Colton was born in 1990. My mom gave birth to all 6 of us naturally, no epidural so cud dos to her. There was a miscarriage that I believe happened between Lance and Natasha, it was twins, so I guess technically I am the oldest of 8:) We moved back to Utah in 1992 and my parents have been here ever since.
Mom and dad both celebrated their 51st birthday's in January. They have 6 children who are all married. They have 15 grand kids.
My mom is my hero and I love my dad for all that he has fought through with his life. My mom has overcome the most hectic and crazy things that one could ever imagine. She is my hero and I love her so much.
In a nutshell those are my parents.

1 comment:

Katrina Witt said...

i love my parents too :)
mom also has two indian sisters that are just like the others... also mom and dad were born in Jan. not June sis . you did remember than I